Thursday, August 23, 2007

Poker Court Drama & Summer Goin' Gooooood

First of all, I'd just like to give the awesome legal system in Manitoba a nice little "Hurrah!" for the excellent way they're handling the court proceedings for all the corrupt criminals caught in the poker raids.












This morning I witnessed all 70 or so people take time off work (many of them their whole day off) to go to their first court hearing. All 70 of them were marched up to the judge individually and told they'd have to come back on September 25th. Ummm...yah...nice organization there. Time well spent I'd say. Good luck to all the players and dealers involved in this embarrassing fiasco.

Anyway, quick update on my poker playing this past week or so. After my downswing of almost 10k on the last update, I mentioned I really wanted to guard against it spiralling into a huge rut. That plan didn't start great as I dropped another 3k immediately afterwards. However, I felt like I actually played really well so didn't sweat it too much.

I took a couple days off and started doing more work around the house. I've been painting like a madman for the past week and am enjoying it. Nice to be able to move again since my back got better.

I returned somewhat refreshed, not feeling quite as frustrated anymore, and have been doing alright since making back $12.5k. I'm also happy to see I've started making money and feeling confident in heads-up SNGs with $3k of the $12k from those.

I've decided I'd like to try out some new sites. Partly out of curiosity and partly because I always seem to run well with a new account on a new site (maybe it's because I'm more unknown? Makes me wonder if I should change accounts more often...). I've signed up at RedNines (Prima network), Hollywood (Ongame network), and Titan. I deposited $2k on Hollywood, won some heads-up SNGs, then lost it all to a crazy aggro-donkey in $10/$20 heads-up. I really wish I could have reloaded against him, but Hollywood will only allow me to deposit $1k/day. No matter how much I bug them and how much ID verification I send in, they won't increase it. They just say to contact them after 30 days and they'll reassess (and probably raise my limits I imagine). So, now I'm just depositing $1k every once in a while and will go back once I reach $5k I guess. I'm at $3k now. Annoying. Way to accomodate to high stakes players...
I read Ace On The River by Barry Greenstein. Honestly, not that great. I mentioned a little about it in my last update. Well, the technical parts in the 2nd half are pretty damn standard plays. I didn't really pick up anything.

I've received all the books I ordered and will review them as I read them. Right now I'm going over the Pot Limit Omaha section of Doyle's Super System 2 and skimming through The Poker Mindset (I don't think this will be mind-blowing, but it can't hurt and I'm interested to see what they have to say from an emotional/lifestyle viewpoint). I will also read Full Tilt's Tournament Edition book because I heard it was good, we'll see. I'm also downloaded some good looking videos from Cardplayers and will review those soon (I read in the comments that one by Green Plastic from UB deals a lot with playing super-aggro opponents which I sometimes struggle with).

I added a couple new good blogs on the right. One is MUCKEMSAYUHH (Tilt) & cts (Stars), guy named Cole. Other is Phil Gandolf who is OMGCLAYAIKEN (Tilt) and is commonly known as Jman on some sites and Internet forums. I still keep up on Brian Townsend's too. I got rid of Paul Wasicka because he never updates it (has been over a month).

I'm going to both Canterbury and Regina!!! Canterbury will be around Oct 19 - Oct 25, and Regina is Nov 6 - Nov 11. I've never been to Canterbury, and Regina is always fun and we should have a good group out there. We're hoping to have some good Pegcity Hustling gear for the guys to wear out there.

Joe Williams mentioned he's been talking to some guys and they want to get the big local game going again at Regent. It wouldn't be a regular thing, we'd just plan ahead to meet there on certain nights once every week or two, and probably let Regent know ahead of time we're coming. That would be awesome and a lot of fun, but I'm not sure if they can spread any $5/$10 NL or higher. It would probably be max 100BB buy-ins (which I hate live!), but whatever. Better than nothing. Guess we'll see if it can even run first.

So, all-in-all, things are pretty damn good. Loving life with my wife and son (who is definitely turning into a little boy, almost two!) and have some great plans coming up for the rest of the summer. Getting work done on the house too which is amazing, and about time. Caught up with a bunch of friends I haven't seen in a while lately. All that is left is getting some of this damn real estate course in. Well, I got time still (but not much!).

John Angst's stag this weekend out at West Hawk Lake. Going out to Pinawa Friday to visit, then West Hawk Sat/Sun, back to Pinawa, then back home Tuesday or so. Should be a blast and will be a nice break from cards.

Peace!

No comments: