Monday, October 8, 2007

Start of 100k hand challenge

Like I've mentioned before, I've decided to focus my next 100k hands on $5/$10 NL across multiple sites. I've done this more to establish a starting over point since the past almost two months has been pretty "meh".

Unfortunately, this challenge has started out a little slow too, though today I'm rebounding a bit. For example, this hand just happened a few minutes ago. I'm also 2nd in chips with 13 left as I write this in the FT 2am Hundo tourney ($109, started with 172 players).

I hope I place well in this tourney because I can't catch a break in it every night I play. Twice since the last update I've flopped top set with KK and lost to draws. And this doesn't help either. I'm probably about 1/10 all-in with AK (until tonight I guess, just won a nice one with it) which is a go-hand usually in a turbo.

Anyway, my 100k challenge is $4300 down so far, but I've taken a number of ugly beats for all-in pots. I've also made some very bad river calls. I'm thinking of my opponent's range and convincing myself they always have one of the hands I'm beating. Not good. I'm really trying to focus on big turn/river bets and thinking "Am I really winning?" and not making frustrated calls because "they couldn't have got there again!".

But tonight I'm up $1500 (which I didn't count in total losses above) on the one cash table I have open and in the middle of the crapshoot of a final table in the FT Hundo (6th in chips, 8 left, I need a couple hands soon cuz I can double up into 2nd!).

And geezus, of course, my Ace down to bullshit flat tire (J4) trying to steal my BB. I'd be a healthy 3rd in chips with 6 left if I hold on the river. So annoying. I collect $645, which looks like crap compared to $4700 for 1st. Bah.

Had the family over for Thanksgiving today. Actually had a pretty relaxing day as my wife took care of everything and we had a rockin' dinner. My 2 year old son and 3 year old nephew are hilarious together, total evening's entertainment.

Feelin' okay about poker. Things still are not going that great, but I'm feeling level-headed about the beats I've been taking and realistic about the bad plays. I think things will turn around soon. Even though I won't have much chance to play before my real estate exam on the 15th, maybe I can pull the 100k challenge back into the positives before next update.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you had a good one.

1 comment:

Big Felter said...

Sounds like you are level headed. I can see it in how you are talking about the game. The next rush is on it's way.