Wednesday, April 18, 2007

10 hours = even...

They say a tie in hockey is like "kissing your sister". Well, the poker equivalent would be 10 hours at a poker table and breaking even...

I was planning to play the Regent re-buy yesterday, then got a call 5 minutes before leaving that the Player's Club (guess it's not called Penguin Club) game was on. But, it was only $5/$10 this time to attract more players, which it did. It looks like they're now doing a weekly $5/$10 game (which sort of plays a lot like $10/$20 online since the pre-flop raises are almost always at least $50-$120 with action). The $10/$25 game might just be monthly now, which is fine with me I guess. If I wasn't running so badly in the game it would annoy me, but a little $5/$10 for a while is okay. I'm sure we'll often switch to 10/25 later at night, like we did yesterday for a short while.

Few new faces yesterday including Hung (who plays pretty tight and straight forward, but good) and Sammy (who was playing like Sammy and hitting pretty huge). Chris Dinson and Danny De Thomasis were in there too, playing short-stacked and like super rocks. Few other rocks around the table. Rosie, Todd, and I were the brunt of the action. Silvano sat down a little later in the evening but didn't get very involved. Grinded it out for 10 hours yesterday and made $30, which is basically even and I'll just record it as such. I was down about $1,200 early to just cold cards, then scooped a nice little pot off Sammy:

I raise to $40 on the button with 88, Rosie calls in EP, Sammy in MP. Flop is J83 (2 clubs), checked to me and I bet $100 into $130 or so pot. Both call. Turn is a blank 5. Checked to me, I bet $500 into a $430 pot, Rosie folds, Sammy thinks (I thought he was about to push) and just calls. River is another 3, Sammy checks and I absolutely bomb the river for $2700 (I actually meant to bet $3000 but screwed up the chips and didn't verbalize it) into a $1,400 pot and he instacalls with J8 (even though the river super-counterfeits him against an overpair). I'm surprised he didn't raise turn, he said later he thought I was bluffing (figured as much) and wanted to keep letting me bet. I only had under $1,000 left anyway.

Other than that, I thought I played reasonably solid. Made a lot of good bluffs and at least 3 pretty big correct laydowns. I keep getting setup in this game, I don't know what the deal is. One thing for sure: Rosie has my damn number. He plays so recklessly against me and I never get a situation where I can really take advantage. He plays very unorthodox and it makes it really hard when I can't get a hand to hold against him. It'll come though, he has too much confidence against me (I can't say I blame him though).

Probably not going to play much until next Tuesday, have too much other stuff to do.

Player's Club $5/$10 & $10/$25 (since Nov/06): +$21,300

No comments: